50+ Ways to Reuse Old Sweaters

50plusOldSweaterProjects

Who knew that pile of old sweaters could be put to use in so many creative ways?  This week’s 50+ roundup brings plenty of inspiration for giving dead sweaters new life.  You will want to raid the closet, or the local thrift store after browsing these projects.

How about this J.Crew knock-off heart sweater by Ali at With an i.e.?  She knocked this project out of the park, and for far less than the $88 price tag on the J. Crew version.  What a simple and cute project for a Valentine’s Day outfit!  Fear not, sewing skills unnecessary.

J.Crew Knock off heart sweater

Need some boots to go with your new J.Crew inspired heart sweater?  Urban Threads has you covered with this old sweater to new boots tutorial.  Are you serious?  I never would have come up with this genius upcycle!

#Upcycle old sweater to boots and 50+ other projects to make from #recycled sweaters @savedbyloves #DIY

Now that you are all styled up, what about adding a splash of cozy to your home with this lovely throw made from recycled sweaters at Woman’s Day?  Go junkin’ for sweaters to coordinate with your home decor and you are all set.

Make a throw from #recycled sweaters, and 50+ more sweater upcycles @savedbyloves

At The Long Thread, you will learn how to create a thrifted sweater Christmas tree.  This project is simple and puts those ugly Christmas sweaters you thought you would actually wear in front of people to great use!

DIY Christmas Tree from #recycled sweaters, and 50+ more things to make from old sweaters @savedbyloves

This sweater covered planter project at Duo Fiberworks is just what I need to give myself a break from the neon planters I made over the summer.  So simple, and when I am in the mood for neon again, I can just take off the covers.

#Upcycle old sweater to planter cover and 50+ other projects to make from #recycled sweaters @savedbyloves #DIY

These are just a few of my favorites.  Enjoy the full 50+ collection below:

1 Amy* October 16, 2012 at 9:54 am

Wow! So many great ideas! I have plenty of hole filled sweaters thanks to my weirdo cat that likes to eat them. I wonder if I can trick her into not eating them by upcycling them into one of these nifty creations like the cat pillow :)

2 Laura / Pet Scribbles October 16, 2012 at 10:52 am

Wow – I already have several “favorites” in this collection that I’d love to try. And I have some old sweaters that are in need of some love, so this just might be a cozy Winter-time project for me! Thanks for sharing these all in one handy spot!

3 Brenda October 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Wow, these are great ideas !! I’m loving those plant covers! I think a few of my hubby’s old sweaters are going to mysteriously disappear. ;)

4 Pat October 16, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I I love the ideas. You just get more creative all of the time!! Thanks we are all looking at this site and think these are wonderful. Thank you for all of your hard work!

5 Helena October 16, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Just pinned it! Lovely post! I’m going sweater thrifting!

6 Hanna October 21, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Wow! How many creative uses to old sweaters! Nice to see one of my own project in this awesome list as well.

7 Abigail Peterson October 21, 2012 at 7:50 pm

WOW! What an amazing roundup of sweater projects! Going to try some of these soon!

8 Shannon October 22, 2012 at 8:37 am

Oh. Mygosh! I had no idea. I’m going to be able to look at every old sweater differently now.

9 Carol ( Answer Is Chocolate) October 22, 2012 at 10:23 am

I think I’m the last person in craftdom who hasn’t re-purposed a sweater. Now I have no excuse!

10 Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon October 22, 2012 at 12:35 pm

what a fantastic collection! Love the little sweater pots!!

11 Ashley October 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Great round up! I have a few old sweaters laying around…. I need to use them for something this Christmas, tired of them being in my upcycle pile ; )

12 Kelly @ Eclectically Vintage October 22, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Love the sweater covered planters – I’ll be scouring the thrift shop for (hopefully bed bug free) sweaters!
Kelly

13 Jessica @ Mom 4 Real October 23, 2012 at 9:36 am

Love these ideas…now I need to pull all of my old sweaters out of the donation bag :)

14 Laura @ House Of Joyful Noise October 23, 2012 at 9:45 am

Gosh, I never think of recycling sweaters into something else! Do you know how many great sweaters I’ve donated in the past 10 or so years? So many great and inspiring ideas here; has my wheels turning.

15 LindaCO December 15, 2012 at 10:47 am

Thanks for these ideas!! Looking forward to trying some of them.