Upcycled Aluminum Can Fall Wreath DIY

Aluminum Can Leaf Wreath Tutorial at savedbylovecreations.com #fall #wreath #upcycle #repurpose #recycledCrafts

This is one of my favorite projects ever.  I cost pennies to create, I absolutely love fall decorating and crafting, and upcycling is my thing.  To make this wreath, I used my Sizzix and Tim Holtz leaf die, but if you don’t have a die cutter, you could do this part by hand with a leaf template, or use leaf shaped paper punches.  They work great on aluminum cans. Let’s get started on this vibrant, eco-friendly autumn leaf wreath!

SUPPLIES:

Tim Holtz Tattered Leaves die

Sizzix

Ranger Alcohol Inks in your fave fall colors; Check out my friend Amy’s awesome color palate for fall, and how she used the inks on a shower curtain cut with the leaf die

Felt applicator for alcohol inks

Straw

Aluminum cans

Metal snips

Cardboard

Circle shapes to trace for inner and outer diameter of wreath

Pen

Scissors

3D Foam Mounts

Duct tape (optional, but recommended if you are putting your wreath outside)

Non stick craft mat

TUTORIAL:

Rinse out your cans with soapy water and cut them into sheets like my aluminum can rose video:

Metal snips
What do you think?  Do you want to make one yourself?  What are your favorite fall decor projects?

1 Amy* September 19, 2012 at 9:06 am

Well this is full of awesome! I love it so much if I were your neighbor I might steal it off your door! I love how you added the veins and the colors look just like the real thing. How clever to use wrapped cardboard for the wreath base. Awesome-ness indeed!

Amy*

2 Mary H September 19, 2012 at 11:42 am

Enjoyed your rose video, and this wreath is super gorgeous. What a great idea. Saw this on your facebook link (I think from where I LIKED you…anyway, it showed up & I followed the link!) Nice way to start my morning. Thank you.

3 Suzy Myers September 19, 2012 at 11:53 am

Full of awesome!

4 Jaime from Crafty Scrappy Happy September 20, 2012 at 12:30 am

Oh my goodness this is AMAZING. I LOVE your wreath! I have never seen a wreath like this I am totally pinning it! So so so clever and cool! :)
Jaime

5 SavedByLoveCreations September 20, 2012 at 7:55 am

Thank you Jaime! This is one of those oh so gratifying projects that turned out so much better than what I had in my head. Love it when that happens. I appreciate you promoting it. xo

6 Maryann @ Domestically Speaking September 20, 2012 at 3:16 am

That looks awesome! Love the shine from the metal.

7 Lorie September 20, 2012 at 9:35 am

That is one of the MOST gorgeous Fall wreaths I have ever seen!! It is BEAUTIFUL!! I will be sharing it on my site later today!!

Now I need to hunt down a leaf die to use in my old Sizzix Machine!!!

8 SavedByLoveCreations September 20, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Fantastic! Thank you, Lorie.

9 carolyn - homework September 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Simply AH-MAZING! It’s fantastic!

10 Brandi September 20, 2012 at 1:30 pm

So creative! I love your wreath.

11 Julie, RN @ http:\\www.craftyimaginings.blogspot.com September 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm

So cool and pretty too!

12 SavedByLoveCreations September 20, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Thank you, Julie!!

13 Charmaine September 22, 2012 at 11:04 am

Gorgeous! I have all the items I need already…love it when that happens!

14 SavedByLoveCreations September 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Oh goodie, Charmaine! That is one of my favorite things about recycled crafts. I would love to see when you are finished. xo

15 Ashley September 24, 2012 at 9:55 am

This is seriously an AWESOME wreath! I love it! I have been waiting to send some tin through my epic 6 but was a little afraid too… maybe I’ll give it a try! Pinning this!

16 Shannon Fox September 25, 2012 at 7:29 pm

WOW. That is a serious jaw dropper. It’s pretty dang fabulous!!!! I can’t believe what it’s made from.

17 Erin @ DIY On the Cheap September 25, 2012 at 8:49 pm

This is awesome! So creative. Love it!

18 Laura / Pet Scribbles September 26, 2012 at 10:42 am

I would never have guessed this wreath was made from recycled aluminum (that’s a hard word to type!) cans. What a gorgeous project – thanks for sharing it! (Pinning this to my Autumn Wonderful board on Pinterest!)

19 Cindy G. September 28, 2012 at 6:15 pm

This is amazing and I can’t believe you made it from aluminum cans! I have a Sizzix and hope to get the die soon. I’ll have to see what I have for inks, otherwise, I think I have everything else! Thanks for the great idea!

20 SavedByLoveCreations September 28, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Glad you like it Cindy! I hope you get the chance to make one. I would love to see it if you do.

21 Teddi Hocker September 28, 2012 at 10:24 pm

The leaves seem like they would be really SHARP. They are pretty though.

22 SavedByLoveCreations September 29, 2012 at 7:14 pm

It does seem that way, but they really aren’t sharp. I have never cut myself with any of my aluminum can creations.

23 Debra October 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm

That is gorgeous! :D

24 vp24 January 21, 2013 at 10:47 am

Gorgeous!!!

25 Katy October 5, 2013 at 12:12 pm

ohmygoodness! So gorgeous!

26 edith October 9, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Love this! Looks like it would be the perfect wreath for my unprotected front door. Can I use a Cuttlebug for this? Thanks!

27 Jamie W. November 8, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Omagosh! This is a stunner! Fall is my favorite season, love the colors and the cool weather. I must try this, especially since I found some posts about how to make my own alcohol inks. Thanks for sharing, your work is sooooooo pretty!! :)

28 Kate November 10, 2013 at 2:57 am

This is a wonderful project! I knew as soon as I saw it I WOULD make this, and tonight I DID! I’m known for my “good intentions” and unfinished projects, so this is pretty significant, LOL. It took about three hours, start to finish, and looks so good I think I may have to make another one for someone else!
Thanks for sharing this. I found you on Pinterest, and I’m looking forward to reading the rest of your blog!

29 SavedByLoveCreations November 10, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Kate, I am so glad you made it! I wanna see a picture. Pretty please?! I think it took me about three hours as well. Can’t wait to see yours.

30 Kate Rothacker November 10, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Johnnie, how do I send or post a picture?
Kate

31 Ruth November 18, 2013 at 9:40 pm

This is just beautiful and I want to make some. Can Sizzix, you mentioned, cut the aluminum with shaped dies?

I’ve never used one. Can you explain the process?

Thank you so much.

32 Ruth November 18, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I just watched your video for tin can roses and got the answers to my previous questions. By the way the rose was beautiful also.

33 Margaret December 31, 2013 at 2:23 am

I have never done anything with a die cutter. What kind of machine do you have. I am very interested in trying some of your projects. I love the leaf wreath.