How to Make Chain Maille & Pearl Bracelet

How to make chain maille bracelet at @savedbyloves

I am so excited to share with you this beautiful chain maille bracelet by Irina from Irina’s Cute Box.  Chain maille goes back to medieval times as a metal weaving technique they used to make armour worn by knights.  Now it is a common jewelry technique.  I have always wanted to try chain maille, but have been intimidated by its complex appearance.  This is Irina’s first attempt, which encourages me to try out the technique.  Her piece came out beautifully, and I would never have guessed she was a novice.  See how to make your own chain maille jewelry, incorporating pearls!  Take it away Irina…

I’d like to share how I made this chain maille bracelet with pearls.

I made jump rings of sterling silver filled wire (18 ga, half hard). The rings have to be a little bit bigger than beads.

Chain maille bracelet with pearls tutorial

To make first bracelet link, connected 4 rings as it shown on the picture.

Chain maille bracelet with pearls tutorial

Then keeping them in fingers fingers as shown on the image below, I “opened” the rings forming them in a shape of nest. Places a pearl bead inside the nest.

Chain maille bracelet with pearls tutorial
Chain maille bracelet with pearls tutorial

Then, closed upper rings like it shown on the picture…

Chain maille bracelet with pearls tutorial

… and connected them with two more jump rings. This rings are starting next chain maille bracelet link.

Chain maille bracelet with pearls tutorial

Again… opened rings to make a nest, placed a bead inside.

Chain maille bracelet with pearls tutorial

Closed the rings and connected with more jump rings.

Chain maille bracelet with pearls tutorial

And so on until the bracelet is needed length. In the end, I attached a clasp, and the bracelet is ready to wear :)

Chain maille bracelet with pearls tutorial

And there are earrings to match the bracelet. :)

1 Amber September 26, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Awesome!!…I love this!!

2 SavedByLoveCreations September 27, 2012 at 5:09 am

Thanks, sis! Now I have a Christmas idea ;)

3 Beth October 8, 2012 at 10:40 am

Do you sell your bracelets?

4 gina November 18, 2012 at 7:09 pm

This is really nice and easy thankd

5 Donna December 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I’m using 6mm beads and 10mm jumprings but that does not hold the beads in. What sizes should I be using????

6 SavedByLoveCreations December 7, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Unfortunately, jump ring manufactures don’t measure by a set standard, so there are differences between companies. Some use the inner diameter of the ring, and some the outer. You are going to have to try larger beads or smaller jump rings and just keep at it until you find what works for you.

7 Cindi December 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm

love the tutorial on chain maille with pearls !!! Thank you so much for the info.

8 SavedByLoveCreations December 19, 2012 at 11:53 am

I am glad you love it, Cindi. I wear mine all of the time. Let me know how it goes when you try it. People are having difficulty with the pearls not staying in the cages. I had no problem, and I only hear from people if there is an issue, so I want to know if there is a success!

9 melaine December 23, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Ive tried and tried and cant do it is there anyway you could do a video on it dont understand what Im doing wrong

10 donna December 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm

very hard to find correct size jumprings to work with 6mm beads

11 Rachelle January 2, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I was able to follow this tutorial and mine came out great. I used 6 mm pearls and 8mm jump rings.

12 Sylvia jacobs February 26, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Rachelle,

What brand 8mm jump rings did you use? Is the 8mm the dimension of the hole or the measurement of the ring you used.

Thanks,
Sylvia

13 Janey March 29, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I’m having trouble getting the correct size, too. Either the rings are too tight and stiff or the beads slip out.

14 Richard April 7, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I made this bracelet using 4mm pearls. The wire is 20 guage I make my own jump rings and I used a 4.5 mm shaft (mandrill) to wind the wire on (I use sterling silver only) There is a spring back when the wire is removed from the mandrill. The inside diameter is the measurement to use. After the spring back the diameter is close to 4.63 mm. I like the size that it turned out to be. A little more delicate looking than using the 6mm pearls.

15 Dominique April 26, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Wow! Great method and it totally worked for me. Thanks for sharing. :)

16 Tracy April 23, 2014 at 10:50 am

Hi I have been using masking fluid for my pliers which works well to stop my pliers from slipping just brush a small amount on and let to dry takes a few mins then ready to use hope good info for you

17 Lis September 23, 2014 at 6:45 pm

That is really cool. I put it on my list to do. Can’t wait to try it.