50+ Things to Make From Old Jeans

50+ projects to make using old jeans #recycledjeans #upcycle #repurpose

Before you haul off those worn out jeans, you may want to take a look at this growing list of things you can make with them. As with all of our round-ups, if you have a great project that you think should be in the list, just email us. Check back often, as we continually add new projects weekly. Enjoy!

1 Katie July 3, 2012 at 8:08 am

Loving all of these ideas. I have a few old pairs of jeans I’d love to make into something new!

2 Slim July 3, 2012 at 9:12 am

How about a using the two back pockets for a apron for the garden or shop. cut them out seam and add a belt

3 SavedByLoveCreations July 3, 2012 at 9:16 am

Cute idea!

4 Tegan Stokes July 3, 2012 at 9:42 pm

This is amazing, from old things to a new lovely stuffs! What attract me most to make a shoes out of old jeans. I simply love it. :)

5 Lhizzie July 4, 2012 at 1:47 am

Gosh! Those are really awesome and even unbelievable ones.. I love that shoes made from jeans.. What a great resource you have here provided for us..

6 Nicole July 5, 2012 at 11:28 am

Thanks for the inclusion!

7 Sammeh July 16, 2012 at 10:16 am

AWESOME!! I love making things out of old jeans. I recently have been making purses out of mine! Another fun idea is to treat the denim pieces like regular fabric, tie them up like you’re gonna tie dye, but dip it in bleach for about 5 minutes instead. They come out JUST like tie dye. Wash them, and then you CAN tie dye them with the dye. They turn out SOOOO beautiful! I’ve made like 20 of them! I sell them on my website. I love making unique things.

8 SavedByLoveCreations July 17, 2012 at 5:49 am

Thanks for the great idea, Sammeh!

xoxo

9 Kathy A July 18, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Lawn mower “basket”:
I have a snapper mower, and made a tote/bag using the open waist & pockets to carry: my water, fire ant supplies, cell phone, everything. I fashioned a wire clotheshanger around the waist to keep it open, & strapped it on crudely, with velcro, to the steering wheel, but it has served me well for years.
These are also great for barn aprons, totes – for horse & dog grooming.
Love all the creative ideas, thanks for sharing.

10 TT July 24, 2012 at 3:26 am

I CANT BELIEVE THEY MISSED ONE SHORTS!!!!

11 Kimberly July 31, 2012 at 8:27 am

I recycle my boyfriends old jeans and make them painting aprons. I use the pockets to hold brushes, wiping cloth and my cell phone. The denim is awesome as a painting apron… the fabric is thick enough that my paint wont seep onto my clothes!!

12 lynn August 26, 2012 at 1:00 am

I did the same thing for the same purpose.

13 jolene September 8, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I’m making a quilt out of my old jeans… been dying them different colours for fun

14 SavedByLoveCreations September 8, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Fun! I would love to see it when you are all finished.

15 Jane LaFazio September 21, 2012 at 10:37 am

hey! thanks so much for including my denim studio box in this fabulous line up. Wow, there’s enough here to make me want to buy some new jeans and wear them out quick! thanks!!

16 carol folger October 28, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Great ideas. I was in a consignment shop and saw a room divider or curtains (kinda like the old bead curtains) made from strips of jeans and knots. It really looked great and would be real cute in a kid or teens room.

17 SavedByLoveCreations October 28, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Oh… thanks, Carol. Sounds cool.

18 Hilneth Alves Pereira January 10, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Adorei tenho tantos sobras de jans q vcs nao fazem ideia

19 SavedByLoveCreations January 11, 2013 at 11:37 am

Estoy tan contenta de que se ha encontrado este post!

20 Becca January 24, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I made a shower curtain once out of the pockets from old jeans – it looks like a giant patchwork quilt with fun fabrics mixed in. We had a small bathroom with no storage, so we used the pockets for things like razors and make-up. I’m thinking of taking it down and sewing a back on it to make a picnic blanket.

Here are a couple other projects I did:

21 stickypikelet February 3, 2013 at 9:42 am

So many great ideas here!
I made some baby jeans out of my old jeans. So much fun to make!
Here they are: http://stickypikelet.wordpress.com/2013/02/03/upcycling-old-jeans-to-baby-jeans/

22 Babe Wiley May 29, 2013 at 11:42 am

I don’t have a picture, but saw the cutest skirt made from old jeans that still fit around the waist. Cut off somewhere between pockets and crotch and add rows of fabric ruffles until your skirt is long enough to suit your purpose. Works great on grand-daughter’s high-water jeans or some that got stained or damaged.

23 Laci June 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Thanks :) I made jeans into shorts and have a bunch of jean scraps to use to make things!

24 SavedByLoveCreations June 2, 2013 at 5:12 pm

That is great, Laci! I would love to see what you do.

25 Jessica N. June 8, 2013 at 7:05 am

I just checked again, and it seems the link is fixed. I don’t know what happened! You can delete my previous comment. Sorry!

26 Chris Young July 29, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I make denim earrings.

27 Brandi Hegerty October 8, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I don’t know how I came accross your website, but I love it! My grandmother made me a bootie jean purse years ago, and I still pull it out every once in awhile. :-) Seriously fab jean ideas!

Brandi

28 Melissa October 16, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Back pack! Laundry duffel, clothes pin bag or apron, grilling apron, organizer for small toys like cars and poly pockets, patch

29 Melissa October 16, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Sorry hard to type on phone!
Patches for other jeans, I’ve even wonderful warm quilts made from old jeans, organizer for back of car seat, char cloth for fire starters, they make great sturdy tote bags for grocery shopping to hold heavy items, make a new bag to hold your tent or tent stakes, another organizer for the camp kitchen or hygiene station, sturdy cover/ carry case for baking dishes when you take them out., pouches for holding water bottle, sunscreen etc on a bicycle.

30 Irene October 29, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I had a child’s gathered skirt with tiers of fuffles. Removed the waistband.
Bought a red leather stool at garage sale, put shorter legs on it. Measured around
the stool (had to add 2″ of denim to make it fit the circumference of the stool) then added a top with other denim I had in my stash.
Now I have a stool cover which is very comfortable to put my feet on.

31 Stephen December 12, 2013 at 5:31 pm

We made a set of jeans pocket cornhole bags. Cut the pockets out, fill with about a pound of shelled corn from the feed store. Sew the top shut. I might try beans next time. The corn is too tempting for chipmunks!

32 Mara January 12, 2014 at 12:25 am

Thank you for sharing these! I’ve had a small box filled out odds and ends jeans / jean parts for probably close to 5 years now that have been just sitting around. I finally have some inspiration to use those old parts instead of just throwing them out <3

33 Bernadette January 20, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Our community creates rugs made from old jeans – we love the idea of turning something old into something beautiful! http://www.camphillkimberton.org/weavery/