Coiled Magazine Page Round Coasters

DIY Coasters

Yes, you guessed it, more coiled magazine page crafts.  This obsession is not leaving anytime soon.  Ready for another unique, practically free, handmade gift idea.  These are the easiest of the magazine/newspaper crafts I have shared so far.  You are going to want to grab a captivating mini series to get lost in while you fold.

Paper Crafts

I showed you how to make the round coils in this earlier post.  Just follow the instructions and make the coils coaster sized.  That is it.  Tie a piece of ribbon or twine around them and give them as Christmas gifts.  So cute!!!

DIY CoastersFun Coasters

How to Make Coasters

What are your favorite recycled paper projects?

1 Yvette @ AquaSeventy6 September 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm

This is a great gift idea!

2 Kimberly Hampton September 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm

OOOOOOh – I see these everywhere and always wanted to know how to make them. Thanks for the information and the inspiration – what fun!!! I can’t wait to try this project – my 4 year old is huge into recycling, so she’ll love it too. Thanks for sharing – I’ll keep you poted on how it goes. :)

3 Swati Randev-Verma September 13, 2011 at 7:51 pm
4 Valerie September 14, 2011 at 11:20 am

This is a really cool idea. What fun, unique little gifts!

5 Tanya @ Blogelina September 14, 2011 at 11:38 am

These are AMAZING! I’m already thinking of half a dozen people I could give these to as gifts. They’re such a neat idea! You mentioned “another magazine recycling project” – do you have links to others that you’ve done?

6 Lisa September 15, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Very cool! They look so unique!

Does the condensation from the glass ruin them over time though?

7 Jennifer Juniper September 16, 2011 at 10:38 am

I love how these almost look like old movie film lined up like that. Great recycling project :)

8 danielle September 18, 2011 at 9:53 am

I wanted to let you know that I featured this on my “What I Bookmarked” Post – stop by and see. And thank you for the inspiration I cant wait to make this!

9 Jennifer September 20, 2011 at 2:46 pm

So cool!! Great way to recycle magazines!!
Thanks for linking up to Southern Lovely’s Show & Share!!
We’d love to see you again!!

10 Gwen@theboldabode September 25, 2011 at 9:16 am

Thanks so much for posting this! I found you party hopping and think these would make really cute placemats! I’ve never used Mod Podge. Will it seal it well enough for use on something like placemats?

11 Katie from Sew Woodsy October 25, 2011 at 8:28 am

Love these coasters!!! I need to give one of the many coiled magazine paper crafts that you’ve blogged about!

12 Heather November 10, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Love these; they are so colorful! I will have to try this! I have made coiled paper wreaths similar to this.

13 kari November 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm

do you need modgepodge for the coasters? Or just for the cross you made? Great idea, btw, i’m going to make some! Love the color pop!

14 SavedByLoveCreations November 14, 2011 at 6:38 am

Good question. You definitely want to use Mod Podge or some other water resistant sealant for the coasters. I recommend at least 2 coats, with drying between applications.

15 leigh April 2, 2012 at 2:34 pm

my modge podge isnt waterproof….is there another kind?? these are so cute…love them and thanks for the inspiration!

16 SavedByLoveCreations April 3, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I don’t have problems with the coasters using mod podge, 3 coats, drying between. Polycrylic by minwax is a great waterproof sealer that I use on my paper beads. That would do the trick here.

17 Debra Kapellakis April 18, 2012 at 11:23 am

These are amazing. I can’t wait to try and make them. I don’t have mod podge here but I hope to find something like it.

18 Debra Kapellakis April 18, 2012 at 11:23 am

I came to you by the suggestion from the “Happy Go Lucky” blog. he he he lucky me

19 Candie June 21, 2012 at 11:32 am

I love these! I’m so glad this ‘upcycling’ movements happening- not only is it awesome for the environment but it makes the prettiest projects too! haha! thanks for sharing! love it! http://www.craftbaby.com

20 Sarah October 26, 2012 at 2:05 am

What is the black holder you placed on the bottom? And what brand of glue did you use as a sealant and durability?

21 SavedByLoveCreations October 26, 2012 at 5:47 am

Hi Sarah. I am not sure what black holder you are referring to. I sealed with Mod Podge.

22 Betsy December 18, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Thanks for the great Idea…I try to repurpose all I can.

Also, my daughter has the same name as you, only we spell hers Joni

23 SavedByLoveCreations December 19, 2012 at 11:47 am

So glad you like this. It is always a treat to meet another repurposing enthusiast!

24 Lis January 12, 2013 at 5:53 am

HOW THE HECK DID YOU GET THE COILS SO EVEN!!! I have seen many projects that use coiled magazine paper but most of them look clumpy and kind of rough. I was amazed at how smooth and even your coasters turned out …. and really MUST know your secret before I start my first coiled project!
Thanks so much for showing us your work ( love the cross as well!)