Wood Pallet Headboard DIY

Wood Pallet Headboard

If you read yesterday’s post, this wood pallet headboard project is no surprise to you!  I am so very excited about this.  I have never done anything like it, and I am plain proud.  There is a rustic, shabby look with an interesting texture for a unique feel, and a price tag that can’t be beat.  The inspritation came from the Sprig by Mia post I showed you previously, here.  Get ready for a quick, easy, cheap DIY headboard tutorial from a happy crafter.

Supplies:

• Wooden shipping pallets; I nabbed mine from a dumpster behind a local home improvement store.  I grabbed 2 of them, as each one was 48 inches wide, and I needed 60 inches (the width of my queen size bed).
  • Saber saw or hand saw if you need to cut one of your pallets to get the exact size you want.
  • Krylon Dual Spray Paint Black Flat and White Flat
  • Wood Screws
  • Hammer
  • Krylon clear coat or sealant of your choiceDIY Headboard Ideas

Instructions:

• Clean your pallets with hot water and let dry.
  • Determine your desired headboard width.  If one pallet is not wide enough, cut the needed width from the second pallet using a saber saw or hand saw.  See picture.  Loving some power tools…DIY Headboard Ideas

DIY Headboard Ideas

• I used a three  pieces of board from the leftover segment of pallet to scab the two pallet pieces together, attaching them with wood screws.  In the Sprig post, she used 2x4s, which is great too.  I just didn’t want to go to the hardware store, and I wanted this to be all free (except for the spray paint later).  No pics of this.  I was too excited.  I drew it in to show you what I did…

Frugal Headboard Ideas

• Flip it over and spray paint your base coat.  I did flat black Krylon Dual, which has primer built in and is amazing.  Such great coverage.  I let the black coat dry, then went over that with flat white Krylon Dual.  I also screwed three shelves from a previous  project along the top edge of the headboard to give a finished look and to have a ledge to decorate if I want.  Really I just did it because I was so thrilled that they fit perfectly along the width of the piece!DIY Headboard Tutorial

DIY Headboard Tutorial

DIY Headboard Tutorial

• I distressed the edges by lightly sanding with medium grit sand paper to bring out the black base layer.  Then coat with finish of your choice.  I used Krylon clear coat (and no, they are not reimbursing me for this post)!

DIY Headboard Tutorial

That is all.  SO gratifying.  I just set it against the wall and put the bed in place.  What do you think, dear readers?

DIY Headboard Tutorial

Wood Pallet Headboard
I am linking to: Home Stories A to Z

1 Emily August 23, 2011 at 6:36 am

Thanks for the great tutorial. I’ve been eyeballing pallets and trying to figure out how I’d make a headboard for a King Sized bed, I think I’ll just modify your idea!

Stopping by from Tip Junkie’s link up.

Best,
Emily from Nap Time Is My Time

2 Vivienne @ The V Spot August 23, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Super cute!

3 Vanessa August 23, 2011 at 5:19 pm

This looks awesome, Johnnie! :)

4 DENY Designs August 23, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Trash to treasure… for sure! We featured pallet inspired home decor in our blog today as well. Check out what else you can do with pallets.

5 Lindsay August 24, 2011 at 10:32 pm

This is the second thing I have visited from your blog tonight. You have great style!

You can link this up as well. :)

6 Jenn Erickson/Rook No. 17 August 25, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Absolutely beautiful! What a great idea and a terrific look for a shabby chic bedroom!

7 Christy August 28, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I have been eyeing some pallet headboards. Thanks so much for the tutorial. Hopping over from a linky party. Have a great week!

8 Aimee June 20, 2012 at 10:34 am

Oh, how i love this idea. I just might do this for my bed at college. It would give my room such a great twist. Thanks so much!

9 Trisha July 25, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Just an FYI since I too am making one of these. Check around at different locations for pallets. I have found that my local larger liquor store has many varying sized pallets and I was able to find ones that actually measure 30 1/2″ X 41″ which is about as close as you can get for a perfect match for not only a headboard but also a platform frame! Just thought I would pass it along

10 Cora August 19, 2012 at 5:15 pm

What a great idea…we have loads of pallets so I mya just look at this. I am actually think of doing a whole bed frame as our beed and frame is really high fro me.

11 SavedByLoveCreations August 19, 2012 at 6:27 pm

So glad you like it. I love mine! One of my favorite projects by far.

12 Rachel July 20, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Great Ides! I have my pallets and am getting ready to do this in a twin bed size!