Recycled Paper Wall Art

Recycled Magazine Page Crafts

Do you have stacks of old magazines lying around that you just can’t seem to trash?  Are you a fan of greener living?  Try your hand at making art from what would have been thrown away.  The possibilities are endless.  I have seen everything from picture frames to bowls to jewelry.  I will be showing you how to make the coils, and sharing what I found works best. This cross took me 2-3 hours total.  The duration will depend on how much of a perfectionist you are, and how many coils your project requires.

Supplies:

• Magazines
  • Bone folder
  • Glossy accents or other quick dry glue
  • Scotch tape (optional)
  • Mod Podge or other sealant
  • A good movie or soundtrack to enjoy while you fold

Magazine Page Coiled

Instructions

• I like the folded strips making up the coil to be thin, so I cut the page in half lengthwise, then folding each half in half, and cutting along the folds, making 4 strips from each page.  It looks fine if you use a whole page per strip, just chunkier coils.  Start folding by bringing each long edge to the center and creasing to make 2 new edges (see pic).  Using the bone folder to crease makes much neater coils.  NOTE:  THE PICTURES SHOW STRIPS BEING MADE FROM ENTIRE PAGES; I HAVE SINCE LEARNED THAT STRIPS MADE FROM 1/4 OF A PAGE LOOK MUCH BETTER IN THE PROJECTS I SHARE HERE AT SBLC.
  • Recycled Paper CraftsContinue folding the edges to meet in the center until your strip looks like this…

Magazine Page Crafts

Magazine Page CraftsTo make the cross, I sketched out the design, made the coils I needed, attached them together with Glossy accents (I love using this on paper – dries clear and fast) and outlined the joined coils with strips to form the “+” shape.  You can make anything you imagine.  Google and you will find all kinds of ideas.  I coated the final piece with Mod Podge attached a wire to the back for hanging and that is that.

I would love to see what you create with your lovely coils.  Recruit friends and family to fold pages into strips for you if your project is big.  My nephew and grandmother were pleased to play along!

ADDENDUM:  I just found an wonderful tutorial with some other tips, here, at Craftstylish.  She used a glue gun and mentions you could use glue, but you have to hold the coil in place til the glue grabs.  With Glossy Accents, this happens in 5 seconds.  Easier and less burn potential than glue gun!

1 Rachel @ Lines across my face July 25, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I love this! It looks so great and you could do so many different projects with this same idea. I would love it if you would stop by the crafty link party I am just starting and link up this post!
:)Rachel

2 Kate Clower July 26, 2011 at 11:03 am

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing on Sugar Bee Crafts!

3 Vivienne @ The V Spot July 26, 2011 at 11:40 am

Very cool! I don’t know if I would have the patience to do this, but with this fab tutorial, it’s good to know that I Could… :)

4 Angela July 26, 2011 at 1:46 pm

This is great! I am thinking about making one of these for my SIL for Christmas! It’s totally her style!

5 Diane @ home sweet homemade July 26, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Wonderful idea and your project results are pretty and eye catching :) I’m a huge fan of diverting waste paper into artful purposes! Nice job!!

6 Kevin - DIY Dork July 26, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Very cool take on the rolled paper craft! I’ve got a few projects along these lines waiting to get finished on the back burner.

7 Jen July 29, 2011 at 9:04 am

Very clever! Great idea!
Jen

8 Jenn Erickson/Rook No. 17 July 29, 2011 at 11:20 am

Johnnie, this is wonderful! I’ve seen bowls made from magazines, but haven’t before seen the medium used to sculpt other objects. I must say, it’s even more beautiful this way. Your cross is so artfully composed. Stumbling it, of course, but pinning it too!

Jenn

9 Cecilia July 29, 2011 at 3:05 pm

It’s a very nice idea! I especially like it because the Cross is so colorful :)

Cecilia

10 Holly L August 2, 2011 at 12:13 am

Clever! I just may have 1,000 magazines to use for projects like this.

11 June Scott August 4, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Great idea for recycling paper! Your cross turned out beautiful!

12 MD August 9, 2011 at 4:33 am

superbe idée
bravo

13 angie August 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm

this looks awesome

14 Inspire Me Heather September 16, 2011 at 7:37 am

Nice job, that looks too cool! I’ve linked this to my wall art post too today, well done!

15 Jane Little October 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm

I really love this and I can see where you could also do hearts or initials. Great project for pre-teens as well! Thanks for sharing!

16 Amy@One Artsy Mama October 16, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Wow, wow, wow, that is soooo cool! Gorgeous!

17 Tammy January 11, 2012 at 2:13 am

This is awesome! I would love to attempt this, but was wondering how you connect all the coils to form your object? Do you just use more glue? Also, I see that you formed the coils into a cross frame. What did you use for the frame? It looks like it is covered in more magazines, or did you actually make the frame with the magazines?

18 tina bettencourt February 13, 2012 at 2:48 pm

how did you make the outside of the cross?

19 SavedByLoveCreations February 13, 2012 at 4:35 pm

For this project, I sketched an outline of the cross around the coils, and used it as a guide to form the outline with strips. Now I use cookie cutters and any other 3D form to make my outlines, like I showed you here; http://savedbylovecreations.com/2011/12/little-quilled-magazine-page-cross.html

20 Michelle August 21, 2012 at 11:23 am

I am obsessed with making this cross, but have many difficulties so far. Any advice on how to do this would be helpful and MUCH appreiciated. I find that the rolls are not very tight nor do they stay “stuck” together with the glue. I have tried craft glue, elmers and even a glu stick.
Thank you!!!

21 SavedByLoveCreations August 22, 2012 at 4:42 am

Hi Michelle. I can totally relate with being obsessed about making this cross. That is what started the whole thing for me. It took turn after turn to figure it out. Read this post for the homemade glue step. Adds even more time to the already tedious project, but makes a huge difference. I hope this helps!

22 KDianne February 14, 2013 at 5:58 am