This project turned out to be more involved than I thought, but it was fun, and I love the outcome. Also, I got to use a product I had not tried before… Matte Gel. I love you Mod Podge, but this stuff rocks for adhering paper to wood. They became one… seemless. And the Gel is not sticky/messy. I am sold.
Here is what I did:
Remove original hardware and sand box lightly. Next remove drawer linings (I ended up stripping the inside of the drawers to get the old adhesive gunk out – and also took them apart to get in there. Not necessary if box is unfinished, or if you are not a perfectionist).
Paint box (burnt umber on frame, champagne on drawers.
Adhere paper cut to size in desired colors and prints, using matte gel. Once dry, sand edges. I inked distressed the paper edges using Ranger distress ink pads.
For the knobs, I use round wooden beads, attached with a nail, painted gold. Once all dry, I coated with gloss finish for shine and durability. More boxes to come…