I am so excited to share with you my version of Low Carb Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash. This has got to be one of my favorite dishes ever. I love every bite, and can’t believe it weighs in at only 400 calories per serving. This recipe serves 2. If you aren’t full and satisfied, you are insatiable!
LOW CARB CHICKEN PARM SPAGHETTI SQUASH
(2) chicken breasts, raw
1 egg white
¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
¼ cup Fiber One Cereal
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning herb blend
½ tsp garlic powder
½ cup pastasauce (w/ approx. 60 calories)
¼ cup shredded parmesan or mozzarella
1 small spaghetti squash
1 tsp olive oil
¼ cup minced onion
salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375° . Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise remove pulp and seeds (just like to do with a pumpkin)! Bake 35 minutes with rind up on baking pan. While that is baking, prepare the chicken as follows.
2. Add Fiber One cereal to food processor and blend until breadcrumb like consistency (if you don’t have a food processor, you can put in a plastic bag and crush with the back of a heavy spoon).
3. Put Fiber One crumbs into a Ziploc bag and add the Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the egg white and almond milk until well blended.
5. Dip each chicken breast, both sides into egg mixture then put into Ziploc bag. Seal annd shake the Ziploc bag until both chicken breasts are evenly coated with the Fiber One mixture.
6. When squash is done cooking, turn oven down to 350°. Place the chicken breasts onto the baking pan and put into oven for 25 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking.
7. While chicken is cooking, coat a skillet with cooking spray and add 1 tsp olive oil and onion over med-high heat. When onion is tender and slightly browned (approximately 5 mins), add the prepared spaghetti squash (run a fork from stem to stern to remove the spaghetti center of the cooked squash right into the skillet).
8. Cook squash, stirring every few minutes, for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit.
9. Remove the chicken from the oven. Evenly layer half of the pasta sauce then half of the cheese onto each breast.
10. Put back into the oven and broil for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted.
11. Place half of the spaghetti squash and one chicken breast onto a plate for each serving.