Make inexpensive, one of a kind, festive jewelry with shrink film to rock at your Fourth of July cookout. These patriotic star dangle earrings are a snap to create. I used my Sizzix to cut the shrink film sheets, but you can trace a stars right onto the sheet and cut them out by hand if you don’t have a die cut machine.
Star die, or template and scissors
needle nose pliers
Heavy Card stock
- The shrink film comes in 8.5×11 inch colored sheets that are the thickness of cardstock. Use scissors or die cut to cut stars in 3 sizes, keeping in mind that shrinkage is about 1/3 original size (make the stars that much bigger than you want them to end up in your final piece).
- Use 1/16 inch hole punch to punch holes in stars before baking. Be careful not to get to close to the edge of the star.
- Set oven to 300°. Place parchment paper on cookie sheet and arrange stars, spread out so they are not touching. Place another piece of parchment paper on top, and heavy cardstock or matte board on top of that. Place in oven and bake for 3 minutes.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven, let cool for a few minutes, then remove the cardstock and parchment paper and take a look at your stars.
The above picture shows the amount of shrinkage, and what happens when you don’t cover the stars with parchment paper and cardstock.
- Now assemble your earrings, connecting the stars with jumprings and connecting the earring findings as shown: