Mod Podge Lampshade Makeover

Lamphade makeover

One of the easiest ways to change the feel of a room is to change the accent colors.  When I get tired of my color scheme, or want to have my home decor coordinate with the seasons, I start with accessories.  Today I am sharing a lamp makeover that is part of my living room color scheme transition.  This project shows that some Mod Podge, spray paint and tissue paper can go a long way in updating accents to transform a room’s style.  The best part?  Save considerable cash by working with what you have instead of buying all new home decor.

Here is how I took a red lamp with a plain canvas drum shade and gave it an aqua base, old handwriting script lampshade makeover:

Decoupage lampshade
Sooo much better now…

Lampshade makeover

How to Makeover Lampshade

It goes great with the spray paint mirror revamp I showed you over the weekend:

More decoupage to come… tomorrow.  You don’t want to miss it!

1 Amy* June 12, 2012 at 8:04 am

Oh my goodness Johnnie! This is a real stunner! I love the color and the text tissue is fabulous! I’m adding the paint sprayer and tissue to my list for my next Michael’s trip :) Thanks for the step by steps…you are so clever.

Amy*

2 Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} June 12, 2012 at 9:15 am

What a cute idea, Johnnie! :) Love it!
I so wish I could find the real deal modge podge over here, hehe.
xo! Vanessa

3 Erika June 12, 2012 at 10:21 am

This is a goodie and a keeper, very beautiful, I always love projects with lettering on it, and this one is just spectacular, the tutorial is very professional, thank you for sharing.

4 truebluemeandyou June 12, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Love how your lamp turned out! I like the use of tissue paper – it’s relatively cheap and easy to use. I also love using napkins (and then peeling away the three layers of backing) for the background of my collages or on frames. This is also a cheap alternative to scrapbook or wrapping paper.

5 katie June 12, 2012 at 2:21 pm

LOVE the lamp shade revamp. What a brilliant idea!

6 SavedByLoveCreations June 12, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Thank you, miss Katie!

7 Debra Kapellakis June 16, 2012 at 4:12 pm

much better after

8 Kristin July 2, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Oh wow! I love this! The tissue paper is so vintage looking and I love the blue lamp base =)

9 Brenda August 16, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Your lamp turned out beautiful! I’ve never used tissue paper, but I’m gonna have to try it now. I’m slowly changing my living and dining room designs, and I’ve got 2 lampshades that really need a new look. Thanks so much for sharing your gorgeous lamp makeover!

10 Jenny August 17, 2012 at 12:10 am

Wow.. Leave it to Martha.. I didn’t know of this cool sprayer.. thanks to you! Love the transformation… looks quick, easy and inexpensive!! Awesome!!

11 Maureen August 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I LOVE how these turned out. I have two lamps in my bedroom that I have been wanting to do something with as far as the shade goes, do you think it would work on a shape other than a drum as well? Mine are your typical shape shade (smaller at top and bigger as you go down) and I am wondering if it would be hard to line the tissue paper up as the size increases. What do you think?

12 Nancy @ Kibbles 'N Knits August 18, 2012 at 7:45 am

That is so striking! I’ve tried this with vintage blue prints but it didn’t turn out great. I think the issue must have been the thickness of the paper. I’m going to try again using your technique!