Do you want to add a splash of color and design to your walls that you can easily remove without leaving behind damage? When planning my teen stepdaugther’s bedroom, I decided to go with a dark grey accent wall, keeping the decor such that I could easily change the color scheme by switching out the accessories. One day she will be out of the house, and I will likely be ready to move on from zebra print and hot pink. Here is a simple, inexpensive, removable applique tutorial, using spray starch to adhere painted doilies directly to the wall surface.
- Spray paint in colors to coordinate with your decor
- Spray starch (I used heavy spray starch)
- Bowl of water
- Damp towel for clean up
- I stiffened my doilies with spray starch and ironing before spray painting them. Just follow the directions on the starch can.
- Spray paint your doilies in a well ventilated area. I went over them with 3 good coats to saturate them well.
- Figure out where your placement, and make sure the surface is clean before moving on. Once the doilies are dry, grab the sponge and water bucket, as well as some plastic to protect your surface from starch over spray. I laid my doilies out on a trash bag to spray them. Before spraying, use the sponge to dampen the back surface of the doily. I initially dipped the entire thing in the water, but that was just no good. Wringing out a wet doily really distorts and wrinkles it. Once it is damp, generously spray the back with the starch, making sure to cover it completely.
- Press the sprayed doily onto the wall, using your hands to smooth it out and pressure to make sure it sticks. If they are too wet, they will fall due to weight. Another reason not to dip the entire thing into the water. Have a towel handy for any runaway drips that may run down the wall. I wiped the wall down underneath the doilies with soap and water to remove drip marks.
I love how it turned out, and can’t wait to show you the rest of this room! I will let you know how removal goes when I decide to change the decor again. What fun things do you do with doilies?
Linking to Tutorials and Tips Tuesday